The Denim Factory came into operation in 1927, producing cotton fabrics on the outskirts of Melbourne. Around 1945 the facility expanded to produce denim clothing and at the time it was Australia’s only denim producer. Fast forward to 2002, the company went into receivership and the struggling business was then purchased. In 2007, manufacturing ceased on the site production and was transferred overseas. A majority of the buildings that made up the facility have since been demolished and only two remain.