The Power House
Constructed in 1901, at the time it was considered to be one of the first industrial complexes in Queensland, Australia to use electricity on a large scale. The 2-phase 60 cycle system provided electricity to the 200 electric motors on site at least 15 years before electricity came to the town itself. Trains would come through loaded with coal and emptied into the underground bunkers where workmen would then hand shovel it to the required areas.
The Power House retains abundant evidence of coal fuel bunkers, ash removal system, electrical equipment, and the giant accumulator which supplied water under pressure to the riveters and flanging presses of the Boiler House. It also contains historic machinery and equipment, such as the 1901 overhead travelling gantry cranes, the hydraulic accumulator, and a steam driven hydraulic pump. The building itself is a fine example of the Federation Romanesque style of architecture with bold use of brickwork in projecting plinths, pilasters, corbels, dentil courses and string courses.